Taking care of your baby doesn’t have to take 100% of the time you have at home or even outdoors. By simply going through the best portable play yard for babies comparison contained in this post, you’ll definitely find a tool to keep your baby busy while you are doing your thing.
In those scenarios like woodworking, gardening, or home cleaning, a baby playard becomes practically useful. Regardless of your budget or brand preference, find what you want here is very certain.
For new moms, guardians or grandparents, these things also work well in travel situations. In the following paragraphs, these baby Playard reviews will help you spot what makes each one different from the other. With that comparison, identifying the best fit for your needs should become easier.
Portable Play Yard for Babies Buying Guide 2020 (Factors to Consider Before Buying)
Before we move on to the best portable baby playard comparison, here are the main factors to consider in this buying guide.
- Portability: Are you going to be taking your playpen to other houses? Perhaps you might want to spend a day at the park, where a playpen would be a handy way to keep your baby safe and let them play alone while you read a book? If you think you might be taking your playpen outside of the home, be sure to choose one that can fold up for easy transport.
- Bassinet: Most playards include a bassinet, which is a convenient option if you’re going to have your baby sleep in it while using it as a traveling nursery. The bassinets in playards differ; some are full-sized and run down the length of the playard, some have options like a canopy which is great if you’re going to be using it outdoors, and some have a rocking motion.
- Wheels / Casters: A playard with wheels or casters makes it much easier to move around the house, either to clean the room or to simply move the playard to another area of the house. Just make sure that the wheels lock into place for safety reasons.
- Toys / Music / Lights: Some models come with included toys or music that is great for entertaining your child while they are inside. Just beware that these features sometimes require separate batteries.
- Storage: Some models come with built-in storage for things like diapers, toys, clothing, etc. This can be great if you plan on using the playard as a portable nursery, or just want some extra storage for those baby items.
- Canopy: If you plan on using your playard outside, be sure to choose a model that has an included canopy. The sun can be very damaging to a baby’s delicate skin.
List of Top 6 Best Baby Play Yards
For the budget-conscious buyer, you can be sure that these are the best portable baby playards under $200 in 2020. So you can be sure that all of them are relatively affordable.
1. Graco Pack ‘n Play Newborn Seat DLX Playard
- Newborn Seat station has beautifully-styled, extra-soft micro-fleece fabric that cuddles baby
- Stylish, built-in storage shelves create nursery-like convenience right in your living room
- Canopy keeps baby shielded from direct light and keeps them soothed any time of day
- Changing table is safe for use with babies up to 30 lbs and provides time saving-convenience during diaper changes
- Enhanced electronics offer 5 classical songs, 5 soothing nature sounds and 2-speed vibration in both the seat and the bassinet to entertain and soothe your little one
Depending on your choice, you can get a multiplicity of attachments with this option. You can load it up and get it into a much higher range with all sorts of options: attachable changing tables, baby rockers, music players, vibrations, etc. With all those options, expect to spend something around $150 – $200.
You’ll have a great playard, but you’ll also have a very heavy (37 pounds!) and cumbersome playard with lots of peripheral parts to lose, break, and replace batteries in.
Graco has ruled the playard market for over a decade now, so much so that their trademarked name “Pack N Play” has become a more common term than playard. It’s big, heavy, cumbersome, and not great for anything other than car travel.
But it’s sturdy, well built, and has basically any feature you can imagine having in a playard – except for an ultra-portable carrying case or zippered side.
2. JOOVY Room Playard and Nursery Center
- Flip-away changing table with sturdy vinyl top for easy cleaning supports a baby up to 25 pounds
- Full-size bassinet holds infant up to 15 pounds
- Diaper organizer and giant side pocket provide plenty of storage
- Waterproof cotton fitted sheet and travel bag included, additional sheets sold separately
- Two wheels for easy moving around your home
As one of the best low cost baby playards, you can access your baby diapers and nursery essentials easily with the JOOVY’s Room Playard. This is an all-in-one nursery center that can carry your child from birth up to when they’re 35 inches tall.
It comes in a teal shade, making it blend in with virtually any décor. The detachable bassinet has a comfortable height and can hold any kid who is below 15 pounds in weight. The changing table is equally sturdy with a weight capacity of 25 lbs. And, when you’re not using the table, just flip it over to create more playing space.
If you’re scouting for a playpen with a host of compartments, look no further than the JOOVY Room Playard. The diaper section allows you to carry all the necessities you need, home and away. Not to forget that you can do away with the bassinet when your kid outgrows it.
3. Baby Trend Nursery Center
- Removable full size bassinet
- Handy Diaper stacker and mobile
- One hand locking mechanism
- Easy to move with locking wheels & Easy compact fold
- Care: Use only household mild soap and warm water. Do Not Use Bleach. Do Not Machine Wash.
With this one, it only takes a few minutes to set up the Baby Trend Nursery Center. It is beautiful, highly portable, has a clean line and art-inspired graphics that make it stand out. The outer fabrics are remarkably soft, and the modern colors add flair to an already great playard.
All these features combine to make this unit the ultimate “everywhere” crib. It lets you carry your baby to your friend’s dinner, at the airport or playgroup. The Baby Trend Nursery Center could as well be the lightest playard on the market.
The Baby Trend Nursery Center makes it easy for your tot to have fun while giving you space to attend to other issues. Its frame has no flame retardants, PVC, or phthalates. It may comfort you to know that this playard meets the GREENGUARD GOLD standards for chemical emissions.
4. Summer Pop ‘n Play Portable Playard
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE – Whether playtime is indoors or out, keeping your little one in one place is essential! The Summer Pop ‘n Play Portable Play Yard provides 14 square feet of contained playing area, and the folding metal frame weighs only 12lbs.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – The ultra-lightweight and compact play yard for baby and toddler is perfect for use at home inside or out, a day at the park or even a vacation at the beach.
- COMPACT FOLD – With a lightweight, innovative pop and fold design that sets up and comes down in seconds, plus an easy and compact fold, you can have a travel toddler and space saver baby playpen to bring with you on all your adventures.
- WATER RESISTANT FLOOR – Playpens for babies can easily become messy, but not the Pop ‘n Play! The water resistant canvas floor helps keep baby dry, even on damp grass.
- ADDITIONAL FEATURES – 14 square feet of playing area (48 inches wide, 26 inches tall), compact fold and travel bag with strap for easy portability included. For use for 6-24 months (up to 35” tall).
This portable baby Playard comes in at 48″ wide and about 26″ tall. At 14 square feet of play area this is the largest playard on our list.
Based on past user experiences, this Summer Infant Pop And Play Playard was found perfect for car travel to the beach or park, great for an indoor ball pit or out in the yard, but less suitable for travel by plane. Even completely folded up in the included carrying case, it’s just way too big for that type of travel.
The mattress is fine, but not really comfortable for sleeping. So overall, you’re getting a very large, sturdy, and well-constructed playard that is great for some particular uses. So why so far down on our list? Well, the architecture of the playard is a bit unfortunate with the cross-bars all around the sides. The mesh netting is a bit loose, so a few things happened during our testing.
First, one 20-month baby quickly climbed right out by pushing his foot to stretch the netting and climbing on the crossbars. Second, when we used it as a ball pit, one toddler bonked his head on the crossbars. There are some ways to solve this, for instance by placing foam pipe insulation (or even pool noodles!) on the bars, but that seems like a bit of work that should have been done by the company in the first place.
In any event, we definitely think this is a great playard, but you will need to do something about to pad the crossbars.
5. Safety 1st Happy Space Play Yard
- CONVENIENT TRAVEL PLAY YARD FOR BUSY PARENTS – The Safety 1st Happy Space Play Yard is lightweight and packable, so you can spend less time setting it up and more time enjoying playtime with your little one.
- SPEND LESS TIME SETTING UP – Setup is a breeze with this play yard. It takes just minutes to give your baby a happy space to hang out in that’s nearby, but not underfoot.
- KEEP YOUR LITTLE ONES ENTERTAINED – This spacious play yard also features engaging toys that attach to the inside wall to keep your little one happy and entertained.
- EASY TO TRANSPORT – This ready-for-travel play yard comes with an included carry bag so that it’s easy to fold up and pack into the car when you’re heading out.
- HANDY STORAGE – The play yard features handy storage pockets on the side that are a great way to keep small toys or other items nearby.
Your little one will have the time of their life in this pleasant Safety 1st Happy Space Confetti Blue Play Yard. He or she will spot fun toys that attach to the side which makes it even more fun. You can even toss in a few more dolls to keep your kiddo entertained as you do your thing around the house.
And when it’s time to move, be sure to use the storage pockets strategically placed along the outside to carry baby items. Plus, you can always rely on the robust feet to keep this play yard steady. Meanwhile, the carry bag guarantees hassle-free trips to grandma’s house or vacation.
This could very well be one of the best portable baby playards for anyone looking for a spacious yet handy unit to amuse the young tot.
It is truly pack-able and convenient, whichever way you look at it.
6. Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe 2 Nursery Center
- Removable full-size bassinet
- Flip away changing table with storage pocket
- Removable napper with canopy and 2 toys
- Large wheels with brakes
- One-hand locking mechanism
For moms that travel a lot with their family, Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe 2 Nursery Center will be the best pack ‘n play with bassinet to choose. The extremely lightweight of fewer than 20 pounds, convenient size, and push-button fold makes it easy to pack and carry this item.
The model comes with a comfortable carrying bag for perfect portability.
Space-saving design allows placing it in a hotel room easily, yet providing your baby with enough room for rest and games. Airy mesh sides make it suitable even for the warmest climate. The bassinet of this playard is equipped with an original canopy with a cute toy bar which appears to be both protective for excessive sunlight and entertaining your little bundle of joy during their active periods.
However, the reviews mark some flaws in addition to the advantages. First of all, the mattress isn’t waterproof so it’s better to consider having an additional pad. Some buyers also report that this model is a bit pricier than an average pack ‘n play, so you have to decide if you have extra money to spend on it.
As for price, here is one of the coolest options you can find under $150.
So whatever the factor that matters most to you, you can possibly find them with one the best portable baby playard comparison detailed here. One thing to keep in mind is to do the set up immediately after arrival so that if you find any defects, you can be able to return within the acceptable duration.