Who doesn’t want the best for their kids, but we also have to think about our tight budgets. If you are in the same boat and are looking for the best convertible car seat under $100, you have come to the right place. Today we are going to tell you are tried and tested the best car seats for babies. These will change the way you travel with your kid. Not only will they be in your budget, but these best convertible car seats under $100 will add comfort and peace to your traveling.
A car seat has multiple functions and features; there is a vast variety of models and companies available in the market that sell high-end premium quality car seats that will no doubt be perfect for you and your baby. However, why spend a fortune on such costly car seats when you can have the same features in affordable car seats. Here we are with a long list of 10 best convertible car seats that will make your life and traveling more comfortable.
The right car seat, regardless of the money it costs, should have some basic features. All high-end and professional seats have additional features that you may not even read, so if you are looking for a basic car seat that has both great features and an affordable price tag, you need to read till the end.
What features make the car seat the best in the business? Here’s a list that will give you an idea as to what you should look for in a baby car seat.
What to look for in a convertible car seat?
Your car seat may last you as long as four years or even more if your kid is underweight. This means that your choice matters a lot when it comes to durability as well as comfort, as this will be with you for a long time. Here are some features that are must in a car seat, here’s what you should most definitely look for.
1. Durability and Lifespan
As we mentioned earlier, these car seats will be your baby’s companion for a long time. Hence you need to be very educated about what you are buying. The first thing you need in your car seat is the durability. If it’s not durable, it won’t last you for a year even, and you will end up buying another pretty soon. Go for one that will last you longer as well as is worth the money you have spent on it.
Search for one that will accommodate the growth of your child, one that will be there from the infancy stage to his preschool days. There are many models in the market that can accommodate a kid who weighs around 120 pounds or less.
Durability doesn’t only depend on weight and height but also on the adjustability of the car seat. The adjustability is the number of harnesses as well as how many positions the seat offers. Adjustability helps you determine how long the seat will stay comfortable.
The Ease of use and convenience is yet another feature that you should have in your car seat. Any car seat you pick should have a short learning curve. You should be able to master the car seat in a matter of minutes. This will make things easier for you. Getting your kid in the car seat, securing him, and getting him out without hassle are your goals. You can’t have a car seat that you can’t figure out. The hardness of the seat, how to latch it to your car seat as well as how secure your baby will be in the seat are features that you need to consider when choosing a car seat.
If you are a frequent traveler, and if you have your kids with you at all times, a seat that has basic features and is easy to learn will come as a huge blessing.
There are many models in the market that are cushier, have added features like phone and cup holders as well as more room to stretch out. However, these seats with additional features cost may cost a fortune. So, with comfort, you also need to consider your budget. Many car seats under $100 may not have the additional features by they have full marks on the comfort level of the seat. If you love the ones that have additional features, consider your level of traveling. If you are the kind of person who travels a lot, a seat with extra features is optimum for you, but if you don’t travel much with your kids and if you are going to use your seat occasionally, you shouldn’t spend too much on a car seat.
The above-mentioned features are basic ones that are readily available in the most affordable versions of car seats. However, not all last you as long as you need them to. So, we have come up with a list of durable yet affordable car seats that will not only give you the comfort your baby needs but also last you longer than average car seats.
Top 10 Best Convertible Car Seats Under $100
Here’s our curated list of 10 durable and best convertible car seats under $100.
1. Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat
- The seat is both rear and front-facing; the rear-facing accommodates children from 5 pounds to 40 pounds, whereas the forward-facing accommodated children from 20 pounds to 65 pounds. If you are planning to use front-facing, make sure you know, when can a baby go in a forward facing car seat.
- You can adjust the height of the headrest as well as the harness with one single motion. It’s swift and easy to learn. There is no threading required to activate the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System.
- The Graco car seat has been through extreme tests to ensure that it will keep your child safe and buckled in case of an accident. Tried and tested through most extreme crash tests, this seat is designed to protect your kid in the frontal, side, rear, and rollover crashes.
- The seat has been tested through additional challenging exams that are based on the New Car Assessment Program. The Graco 65 Convertible Car Seat has also been tested for extreme car interior temperatures.
- This affordable convertible seat has as many as 8-position headrest. These can be adjusted as your child grows. It’s the perfect seat that will grow with your child and last him longer than any average car seat.
- The seat comes with an instruction manual that is easy to read and understand. The installation of this car seat is easy, and the learning curve is pretty short.
The features of Graco Contender 65 Convertible speak for itself. These features are enough to tell you why it has the top spot on our list. The company Graco is known for all its baby products, high-quality as well as durability. From baby cots to swings to car seats, Graco is pretty popular. This Graco Contender 65 Convertible is easy to use, easy on the pocket, and also the most practical car seat ever. The build is compact, easy to lean, and has an extended lifespan. It has a record to last you till the baby actually outgrows it.
It’s not only compact but also pretty lightweight. The measurements are perfect for all types of cars; 8.5 inches x 22 inches x 23.5 inches. This compact car seat’s total weight is around 15.2 lbs; this makes it very easy to install and uninstall. If you are a trendsetter and love to stay in style, you will be glad to know that this convertible car seat comes in several colors, including black, gray-and-red Chili Red, and black-and-blue Sapphire. Choose your car seat according to your car’s color and impress your friends and family.
Graco uses the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System. Did you know it’s the same system that all high-end companies use? It’s the easiest harness to adjust, all you need is one swift motion of your hand, and you are no, no rethreading is required to adjust and readjust this harness. The coolest feature of this car seat is that it can be adjusted to 8 different headrest positions; this helps when your baby gains inches. For preschoolers and toddlers, you also get an integrated cup holder. With Graco convertible, you get all high-end features in a very affordable car seat.
You can connect the Graco convertible to your car seat with the help of the standard LATCH connectors. However, if you find it hard to connect with the standard LATCH system, you can use your car’s seat belts to attach your car seat. This Graco convertible is versatile; it serves both ways, rear-facing as well as a forward-facing car seat. This means you get to use this convertible car seat. So, it will stay with your child from infancy till his toddler years. The following are the pros and cons that will help you decide if this is the right fit for you.
2. The Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible
- The Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible is the best convertible car seat that easily fits your car, whether it’s an SUV or a bug. It’s perfect for both larger and smaller cars.
- Can be adjusted to both rear and forward-facing position; this means that it will stay with your kid for a long time
- You can fit your 5-40 pounds in the rear-facing position and 22-65 pounds in the forward-facing position.
- This versatile Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible comes with five harness heights, has three buckle locations as well as designed with a headrest that can be adjusted to fit the baby comfortably.
- The adjustable headrest is ideal to protect and secure your baby’s head while riding in the back.
- If your baby has a favorite Sippy cup that he never travels without, we have the best news. This versatile and affordable car seat comes with a detachable cup holder. So you can take your baby’s favorite cup with you everywhere.
- The Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible can be customized to adjust to your baby’s growing body. It can accommodate kids of different sizes and build.
- Another great feature of this car seat is the removable body pillows. You can attach or detach the pillows to keep your baby safe, secure and comfortable.
The many positive features of the Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible is enough to tell you how cool this car seat is. You can adjust it, customize it, install in any car and it is durable enough to last you a lifetime; what more do you need in a high-end yet affordable car seat? This budget-friendly car seat has all the features you can ask for under $100. The design is compact and sleek, looks great when attached to the car and also keeps your baby safe and secure. Whether you have an underweight or chubby baby, the car seat is designed to keep both sizes comfortably. For underweight babies, the car seat comes with detachable pillows that will keep your tiny buddle from buying both safe and snug. When your baby starts to gain weight, you can remove the pillows to make room for him.
This may be an inexpensive model, but it has passed various federal as well as industry safety standards like JPMA and ASTM before reaching the market. The seat is around 14 inches x 18 inches x 30 inches and weighs around 14 lbs. The downside of the Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible is that it comes with the LATCH connectors that might be a bit hard to get used to, but the good news is that you can easily connect it to your car seat with your car’s belts. While doing so, you will not compromise your baby’s safety, so it’s a win-win situation. The car seat has a five-point harness system, but you will still need to manually re-threading it, but you can do that without taking it out of the car.
You can position your baby in the rear-facing position from 5 to 40 lbs and in front-facing position from 22 to 65 lbs. This means that you will have this single car seat from infancy till toddlerhood. This is excellent news for parents who are looking to invest in one good model that they can use for several years. What we like the most about this car seat is the convenience it adds to the parents’ life from detachable pillows to removable cups. This car seat is a dream come true of all the parents who have cranky or difficult kids. Here are several pros and cons to consider before buying.
3. Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible Car Seat
- Whether you are a frequent air traveler or you have a long commute to the daycare, the Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible Car Seat is the best backup car seat ever.
- It’s easy to carry, compact and lightweight, and also has a long durable lifespan.
- Perfect for growing babies and can hold up to 65 pounds in the flesh. This will be your best travel companion from infancy till preschool.
- Your baby will have a swell time in this car seat as it adjusts whichever way you need it to. It’s ideal for daily use, has a tall back and steep recline that gives you baby room to be extra comfortable.
- Most convertible car seats are great with larger babies but not so much with smaller premature babies who are underweight, the Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible is not only suitable for growing babies, but it’s also great for smaller babies weight as little as 5 pounds. It’s snug and protective.
- This car seat is not only affordable but also extremely safe as it has passed federal standards tests for Side-impact and comes with adequate crash protection.
- The material used to design this sleek car seat is easy to clean and maintain. A mild soap and water mixture with soft cloth will wipe off majority of the gunk from the plastic body of the car seat.
Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible seat has made our list of affordable car seat not only for its inexpensive pricing but also for the fact that it’s the best travel companion for your infant as well as your toddler. If you are looking for a backup seat to take on an extended vacation, this one is ideal. Apart from its affordable pricing, it also has a sleek look and compact body that is perfect for vacations, long commutes as well as daily use.
The extended weight limit of this car seat is a great feature, as it allows you to use this for a very long time. The seat is comfy as well as clean to maintain. You can wipe off any kind of spill easily. The care seat’s sleek body measures around 20 inches x 20 inches x 29 inches and weighs 14.45 lbs only so that you can air travel with this seat with ease. In a standard vehicle, you can fit three such units in the back seat without cramping. So, whether you are blessed with twins or triplets, this sleek and compact seat is the best one for your family.
Just like all other high-end models in the market, this one also comes with a removable cup holder. The car seat’s cover is also removable as well as washable. A good spin in the machine will clean all stain and spills in no time. The padding of this cushioned car seat not only keeps your kid snug but also saves him in case of any impact.
Speaking of impacts, this car seat has been rigorously tested, exceeding the standard federal crash limits. It’s sturdy enough to tolerate side impacts as well. Designed with six shoulder strap positions and an up-front harness adjustment, this car seat is a true bliss for all parents who need total protection for their kids while traveling.
4. Graco My Ride 65 Convertible Car Seat
- Graco My Ride is the best rear-facing car seat in the market. It’s among the best car seats that let your baby enjoy rear-facing position up until he is 40 pounds.
- As far as the forward-facing position goes, it can accommodate your kid till he is 65 pounds. So, this ideal car seat will last you till your kid is a preschooler.
- Unlike all other affordable models, this one comes with a dual cup holder, extremely convenient for parents of a very fussy baby.
- It’s safe and secure and has been tested according to US standards to ensure the safety of your child and the durability of the car seat.
- You can easily install the car seat with your vehicle’s seat belt even though it comes with LATCH connectors.
- Designed with a cover that is good enough to tolerate all kinds of spills and stains. The cover is also removable and washable; the only thing you need to worry about is hanging it out to dry as its air dry only.
Whether you have one baby or have a whole football team, you must have heard of Graco. There is no other baby company as reliable as Graco. Their product is top of the line and extremely durable. It’s no wonder that Graco makes our list twice. The Graco My Ride 65 Convertible car seat is as stylish as its name.
There are many benefits to buying the Graco My Ride 65 Convertible seat; number one is its extended weight limit. It will hold up a toddler till he is 65 pounds. This is a great weight limit as it means this car seat will be with your baby till he is a preschooler. It’s been tested and has passed all US standard exams and has come winning. Your kid will be safe and secure in this sturdy thing.
The only catch is LATCH connectors and rethreading manually; apart from this, the Graco My Ride 65 Convertible is an ideal car seat. It even comes with two cup holders, isn’t this extra convenient? Well, we aren’t done praising this awesome car seat yet.
With most babies traveling and eating in the car, parents are always worried about spills and mess. Well, you can easily remove the covers of this car seat, machine wash, air dry them, and they become as good as new. The cover is also wipe-able, a true blessing for on-the-go parents.
Did you know that The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that you keep your child rear-facing as long as possible? For this very reason, the Graco My Ride 65 Convertible is more than ideal for you. This is the only model in the market that keeps your baby in a rear-facing position till he is 45 pounds. All in all, it’s a great product with all high-end features in an extremely affordable price tag.
5. Evenflo Sonus Convertible Car Seat
- Full to brim with all the high-end features, our Evenflo Sonus Convertible Car Seat is right under the $100 mark.
- Comes with removable a pad that is both machine wash and air dry, so now you don’t have to worry about your baby spilling juice all over the car seat.
- It also designed with a has five harness positions with up-front adjustment as well as a supportive head pillow to keep the baby’s head supported, secure, as well as snug and comfortable.
- The best part and bonus feature of this car seat is the all-season comfort that comes from the revolutionary ventilation system. This will keep your baby comfortable in all seasons.
- With an extra narrow bottom, this car seat is compact and portable. It’s going to be your best mate on air travel and long commutes.
- Even the widest bit of this car seat is about 19 inches, which is great for a smaller car or when you have to adjust two or more seats in one car.
- This ideal car seat is also FAA-approved for airplane use; the narrow build is perfect for all seats of the airplane.
Evenflo Sonus Convertible Car Seat comes with a high recommendation from all parents with two or more babies. There is no stopping this model as it comes with a lot of features that are great for all parents and their babies.
It’s one of the best models out there for air traveling. Its narrow build makes it ideal for airplane seats and the fact that its FAA approved for air traveling. Thanks to this perfect car seat, you don’t have to worry about your kid’s comfort while in the air.
Don’t judge the car seat by its affordable price tag. Just check out the many features it has to offer at such a low price. The car seat is equipped with five harness positions with up-front adjustment. It also comes with a supportive head pillow that not only supports your baby’s neck and head but also keeps him extra comfortable. The car seat is exceptionally convenient as its slim build lets you adjust a couple of units in the back seat, even in a smaller car. You also get a removable and washable seat cover with a revolutionary ventilation system that will keep your baby comfortable in all seasons. The ingenious technology helps regulate the airflow and temperature in all weathers so your baby will stay cool and calm in warm temperatures.
To speak of numbers, the car seat is as narrow as 19 inches and has a weight limit of 5 – 40 lbs. The suggested high limit is 19 – 40 inches. When in the forward position, the car seat can tolerate 22 – 50 lbs as well as comfortably adjust height around 28 – 50 inches. This means you will be able to use it for a fairly long time.
6. Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible
- Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible comes with high recommendations and reviews; this car seat has been tested for structural integrity at energy levels 2x the federal crash test standard.
- It has multiple shoulder harness positions that are perfect for longer use, and as your child grows older.
- Ideal for kids till the age of two years even more if he fits the weight and height limit.
- Designed with upfront harness adjustment as well as one motion buckle release, it is easy and convenient.
- It has an integrated body cushion that adds comfort and security to your baby’s ride. It also has a removable head pillow.
- It has also been tested for side-impact and passed with flying colors.
- It is an excellent choice for carpooling, smaller cars, air travel and changing cars as compact and lightweight.
- The plastic parts of the seat are wipe-able, and the cushioning is removable and machine washable.
An affordable car seat model is always a hard one to stomach as parents are concern about the features and durability of the car seat. However, with Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible, you need to worry about such things. This easy to use car seat model comes with all safety features, a durable body as well as an easy maintenance removable cover. There is no end to the positive features of this ideal car seat that won’t cost you more than $100.
Let’s start with the fact that it is extremely easy to clean. It has machine-washable seat pads that are great for a quick spin in the machine to get rid of all foul spills and odors. You can also wipe the gunk clean with just mild soap and water. Avoid harsh chemicals, abrasive cleaners, and bleach to clean the car seat and it will last you a lifetime.
For parents who are looking for the perfect backup seat in less money, Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat is the best choice ever. What makes is so great are the safety features. This durable car seat has passed multiple federal safety standards. According to the company, the car seat can take double the energy levels of the federal crash test. The car seat does come with a LATCH system that can be a bit hard for some to learn, but you can always install and secure it with your car’s seat belts.
7. Cosco Scenera NEXT Convertible
- A well-rounded car seat is the one that has all high-end features and is also inexpensive, and Cosco Scenera NEXT Convertible is all that and beyond.
- Its lightweight design makes it the best one for air traveling, and it’s also FAA-approved. The mare 8 lbs weight makes it easy to carry and portable.
- Accommodates baby in Rear-facing position from 2.3kg-18kg and 48-101.6cm
- Accommodates baby in Forward-facing position from 10-18kg and 74-109cm
- Designed and tested to protect your baby from sudden side impact with build-in protection
- This fun, smart and straightforward car seat can also become your most fashionable baby gear, as it’s available in many colors and designs.
- This car seat ensures that your child grows comfortably as it has five heights and three buckle locations.
The Cosco Scenera NEXT is a next-generation smart. It has all the high-end features that you need in your car seat but comes without the high-end price tag, extremely affordable; this car seat is ideal for all kinds of travels. Whether you have a small car or are taking an extended vacation, this compact and lightweight car seat will make things extremely easy for you.
Your kid will stay safe from sudden crashes and side-impact, and a 5-point harness is sure to keep your baby happily growing without cramping his style. If you are worried about the carpooling gang you just joined, worry not, as you can easily adjust three such units in the back without hassle. Scenera NEXT is certified to be used on planes, so you don’t have to fret about your fussy babysitting in the airplane seat and crying all the way. Give him the comfort of his cozy car seat and let him become a happy traveler.
However, Cosco Scenera NEXT has a maximum weight limit of 40 lbs, which is way less than other models in the market. However, you can still use it until your kid reaches the toddler age.
8. Graco Snugride 35 Lite Infant Car Seat
- We all know how Evenflo has the best and the lightest car seat. Well, Graco Snugride is even lighter than that.
- If you are carrying full-term and bringing home a healthy baby, this is the ideal car seat for you.
- With the inserts, this car seat gives you 6″ bottom harness slots
- As compact and doesn’t take much room from front to back, it’s the perfect car seat for narrow and small cars.
- It also gives you the option to wrap the shoulder belt around the back of the seat to give you extra secure installation.
Making our list for the third time, it’s the unbeatable Graco Company. Graco is known for the most durable as well as inexpensive baby products; this Graco SnugRide 35 Lite Infant Car Seat is no different. Apart from its awesome pricing, the SnugrRide is also great for traveling as its lightweight. Whether you are commuting, or air traveling or taking a road trip, this car seat will make your travel with an infant a breeze. Most bulky car seats aren’t meant for extensive traveling, and taking you kid out of his comfort one while traveling can make him cranky. Give your baby the comfort of the seat his body recognizes and loves.
The smart design gives you a 2-piece infant head and body support that is ideal for keeping your baby snug and comfortable. It’s easy to install in the car with the LATCH-equipped stay-in-car base. However, if you aren’t too comfortable in latching it to your car seat, you can always use the belts of your vehicle to secure the seat to your car. What’s more? The seat comes with a rotating canopy that keeps the sun out and offers ample shade to your baby. Snugride is the best for traveling because you can create your ideal traveling system by attaching this car seat to any Graco stroller. It also comes with a comprehensive manual that lets you learn how to install the seat immaculately rather than guessing.
9. Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
- Chicco Keyfit is the skinniest car seat option you will find in the market
- It is also the top performers in crash testing, as well as the easiest to use the car seat with the LATCH system.
- The Chicco Keyfit is designed with energy-absorbing foam that is ideal for side impact protection (SIP).
- It is equipped with a bubble level indicator, which is great for finding the proper installation angle.
- The buckles are less stiff than other models in the market. It also has a sturdy chest clip that is pretty tight and doesn’t come off easily.
- The Chicco keyfit comes with three height options as well as one buckle strap location
- It also has an easy to adjust handle that rotates to three levels, and all three levels can be pulled off while installed in the car.
Affordable yet durable, Chicco is one of the best brands that offer high-end solutions to all your baby needs. While others are hard to learn, understand and install, the Chicco Keyfit is the fairest of all. Chicco keyfit passed all the crash tests and did exceptionally well with sudden side impact. It did even better than many of the high-end models when it came to protecting the baby in case of an accident.
It scored the highest among the competition when it came to installing the car seat with the help of LATCH connectors. With the bubble level indicator, you can be sure that your seat is stable, and in the right angle, you don’t need to guess or insert pool noodles of towels level the car seat.
The Chicco Keyfit comes with removable inserts that are good to support newborns from Full body inserts for newborns 4-11 pounds. It also has a five-point harness that keeps your baby snug and secures with just one-pull tightening technology. It also has an adjustable, as well as a removable canopy that is best to keep your kid protected from the scorching sun.
10. Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible
- The Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat is popular as the all-in-one convertible seat that lets you position your kid in rear-facing up to 35lbs and forward-facing up to 50lbs.
- The seat has three reclining positions. It’s great for side-impact protection, as well as has an extra removable infant head support.
- It’s the ideal traveling companion for your baby as it comes with rotating armrests as well as a detachable cup holder.
- It’s durable and will last you from infancy till your kid is school age.
- It’s a three in one car seat that includes a booster, so you can use it even when your kid is five years old and weighs less than 100lbs.
Why we have the Alpha Omega Elite convertible car seat in our list is not only because of the affordable price tag but also for enhanced safety features it offers to keep your kid safe in case of an accident.
The seat is equipped with advanced side-impact protection. This has been achieved by inserting EPP foam that gives extra support in case of a sudden side impact. The seat also has removable infant support cushion to keep your newborn safe and snug with his neck adequately supported.
To make the installation of this car seat in any vehicle, the seat is designed with LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children). This ideal car seat also has The QuickFit™ harness system. This system helps the parents and caregiver to swiftly adjust the headrest as well as the harness in one quick motion.
All convertible car seats come with their own easy and issues. However, the above mentioned practical and best convertible car seats for infants are the most popular and loved by the recent buyers. Whether you are looking for a travel companion or an easy to afford a backup car seat, these will do just fine.
These convertible car seats are all rigorously tested and are compatible with both small and large cars as well as ideal for air travel. What we find the most brilliant thing of all is the high-quality of these seats despite their affordable price tag.