It’s not easy to think of the best baby carriers and not think of the convenience they bring. However, latter-day experts have confirmed our age-old suspicions: that wearing your baby snugly while walking around is great for bonding between the parent and the baby.
There is nothing the tiny ones love more than the reassuring sense of comfort when held close to your chest. Older babies are amazed when worn outward-facing to discover the world around them. And for toddlers, nothing beats the experience of riding on your back or hip.
And the carriers of today are quite convenient, especially if you take into account the fact that there are many baby carrier variations on the market today. As a parent, there is no doubt that you love your tot and want only the best baby products for them. We understand this, which is why we’ve scoured the internet to bring you the best baby carriers for the money.
There are baby carriers of all sizes and for all ages from newborns all the way to toddler years. However, we also understand that the best positions for carrying babies change as they grow, which is why we have packed our list with versatile baby carriers that can adapt to the different weights and heights that your baby undergoes as they grow. Continue reading to discover the time-tested, all-weather baby carriers.
List of 10 Best Baby Carriers to Buy in 2021 (Expert Reviews)
1. The Bebamour Breathable Baby Carrier
The Bebamour Breathable Baby Carrier is a pocket-friendly baby carrier but this does not mean that it cuts corners on important features. It is still able to pack the features that are to be found on the higher-priced models.
One of the trademark features of this baby carrier is the hipseat feature that makes it possible for your baby to be seated comfortably for long spells. The feature is also good for the carrier since it allows for even weight distribution and thus prevents lower back pain ad at the same time minimizes fatigue.
It also features adjustable padded straps as well as waist straps that allow for a snug and ergonomic fit. The carrier is lined with breathable mesh that is not only soft but also friendly to the skin. It is also fitted with pockets that you may use for storing personal items like credit cards, money, or phones.
- Ergonomically Designed: The carrier features a hipseat and wide belt support that ensure even weight distribution in the back region of the wearer. It is outfitted with properly padded shoulder straps that help support the baby. You can adjust the waistline belt to fit your frame.
- Baby–Friendly: The carrier is secure and provides firm back support for your baby. Because your baby is seated comfortably, you can go for longer trips with him in the carrier. Also included is a hood that helps protect your baby from unfavorable weather. Lastly, it also has a noiseless feature that ensures your baby sleeps uninterrupted while in there.
- Skin-Friendly: The carrier is fitted with vacuum holes that help improve the circulation of air. This is in addition to a headcover mesh that is breathable.
- Less Tiring: Due to the way the carrier is designed and the support it offers, you can carry your baby for a long time without feeling fatigued. Due to its design, babies feel nearly weightless when they are on this carrier.
Why Should You Buy It?
The carrier features 5 positions of use, something that makes it among the most versatile baby carriers in the market today. It’s really worth the money as you can use it on a 3-month baby all the way to a 3-year old kid. Once you buy it. You can be sure that it will serve you for more than three years because it is also very durable.
2. NimNik Baby Sling Carriers Hipseat
The NimNik Baby Sling Carrier Hipseat has to be the best baby sling that we’ve ever reviewed since it goes on comfortably and easily like a normal front-facing carrier for older babies. But the interesting part of it all is that you can just clip off the top end of the carrier to turn it into a very comfortable hipseat for toddlers. It features a wonderful design and is also comfortable for the wearer with its thick adjustable straps meant for robust lumbar support.
- Great Lumbar Support to Wearers: This makes it possible to carry your little one for long hours without feeling tired.
- Less Shoulder Pain Risk: The carrier features wide and padded shoulder straps that make it easy to carry the load thus reducing the risk of should pain.
- Ideal for Hot Climate: It is made with breathable fabric that prevents babies from getting chaffed or suffering from skin irritation.
- Prevents Hip Dysplasia: The carrier has passed the safety test insofar as causing dysplasia is concerned. The carrier features a seat that’s able to support the proper sitting position of the baby.
Why Should You Buy It?
The one reason to buy this carrier is that it offers great value for money. In terms of design, it is very similar to that of Bebamour. However, unlike Bebamour, which is made of polyester, it is made of cotton. This is a big improvement for the same price.
The NimNik contains many of the features found on the higher-priced carriers. But don’t expect to find all the luxuries like designer materials or organic fabrics that are found on the highly-priced baby carriers.
3. Infantino Flip Advanced 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier
The Infantino Advanced Convertible Carrier is a fantastic way to take your newborn baby in comfort and safety to a family park. It features a 2-in-1 bib that not only protects the carrier but also your clothing.
It is machine-washable, which allows for a fresh environment for the baby and easy care every time you go out for a walk. The carrier can transport babies weighing 8-32 pounds and comes with an adjustable seat that you can set depending on the gender of the baby.
You can carry your newborn outward or inward with a narrow seat keeping them secure. If you want to carry your newborn facing outward, you will appreciate the head control and support that the carrier comes with. There is a wide seat for the older babies and can be put in front-facing inwards or at the back.
- Convertible Seat: Most carriers require additional infant inserts while others force the kid’s little legs through uncomfortable wide positions. The Infantino Advanced Carrier lets you narrow seats for small infants, something that creates a comfortable seating for little babies. Expand the seat as the child grows to provide maximum support for toddlers and older babies.
- Comfortable Carrying: Featuring a supportive waist belt and extra padded straps, the carrier is able to distribute the baby’s weight on your back. Thanks to the adjustable straps, it can comfortably parents of any body type.
- Wonder Cover Bib: Thanks to Infantino’s intuitive Wonder Cover Bib, you can be sure that your clothing and carrier are protected from your baby’s spit-ups and drool. It attaches to the inner part of your baby carrier when facing in, and when facing out, across the folded headrest. Other than being functional, the wonder cover bib also adds a taste of fashion.
Why Should You Buy It?
The unique convertible seat of the Flip Advanced Baby Carrier is what sets this carrier from the crowd. It is perfect for small children right from infancy to their toddler years. Take advantage of the padded head support and the narrow seat position to hold your baby comfortably. As the baby grows older, you just need to switch to a wide position to continue providing ergonomic convenience.
4. Moby Wrap Baby Carrier
The original Moby Wrap is the undisputed leader of wrap-around style baby carriers. Its simple but versatile design means that it can be worn by just about anybody.
It has many benefits, key among them the 100% cotton fabric that provides a safe and comfortable environment for your baby. It is not only affordable but also keeps your baby secure and close. It comes in different designs, which include:
1. Classic Moby Wrap
A parent-favorite due to its adaptability and comfort, the classic MOBY Wrap is crafted from soft, durable and stretchable cotton fabric that distributes the weight of the baby you are carrying evenly across your hips and back.
2. Bamboo Moby Wrap
This design meets the perfect breathability. The wrap is anti-bacterial in nature and contains a higher breathability rating compared to other fabrics. This makes it the perfect wrap for all seasons and climates.
3. Organic Moby Wrap
Crafted from 100% OE certified organic cotton, Organic MOBY Wrap brings harmony to your household with its cotton in a stunning color palette.
- Snug Fit: It fits the baby snugly and almost entirely swaddled by the fabric. Also, the weight is well distributed. The baby falls asleep easily and while its head can be securely tucked under the fabric, it’s important to ensure that the face of the baby is visible to the person wearing it and that its chin rests comfortably away from their chest.
- Perfect Distribution of Weight: Another thing you will love about this baby carrier is the way it distributes weight on the wearer. This means that you can wear the carrier for long without feeling fatigued.
- Made of 100% Cotton: The carrier is made from 100% cotton. Also, the manufacturer provides health-wise and eco options with their organic fabric. The wrap is simple to clean. You just have to throw it in the washing machine and dryer.
Why Should You Buy It?
Affordable and featuring several designs, the MOBY Wrap is a fan-favorite among many parents because of its stretchable and durable material that keeps your baby very, very cozy. It’s easy to wash since it is machine-washable and distributes weight perfectly across your hips and back.
5. Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier One
The Baby Carrier One is the latest in product offerings from BabyBjorn, the Sweden-based company that has carved a niche for itself by manufacturing high-end carriers since the 1970s.
Promoted with the catchphrase “One is all you need’, the carrier is designed to adapt to your growing kid from the time of birth to the time he is 3 years (3.5kg to 15kg). In addition, it works in various positions
- Multiple Carrying Positions: The Baby Carrier One from BabyBjorn provides four positions of carrying your baby. These are newborn position, outward-facing, inward-facing and the back carry, a new feature that lets you carry your baby on the back, all this in a single carrier. Like all things Scandinavian, this carrier is chic in an understated way.
- Versatile: With the Baby Carrier One, you have a versatile piece that will cater to your newborn baby until he is 3 years of age. This means you won’t be buying other carriers as your baby grows in weight and height. Unlike most other carriers we’ve reviewed, this one does not need you to purchase a newborn insert. Rather, it features a nifty zip system that allows newborn kids to sit higher on the chest for added snugly hold.
- Easily Maneuver the Baby from Front to Back Position: The Baby Carrier One comes with a unique feature that allows you to maneuver your little one from front to backpack position singlehandedly. This is a clever innovation that becomes even more useful when your kid grows to be where he can be carried on the back.
- Ingenious Zip System: This ingenious zip system lets you easily adjust leg settings. When open, your kid’s legs dangle, and when the zips are closed, your kid’s legs are supported and splayed.
Why Should You Buy It?
The standout feature that sets this carrier from others is the fact that once you buy it, you can use it on your baby from the time he is zero years to 3 years. Not a lot of carriers provide such a huge range of adjustments, which really is the beauty of the product. It gives you versatility as well as different options as the baby grows.
6. Ergobaby Easy Snug Infant Insert
The Easy Snug Infant Insert lets you carry your newly born baby not only comfortably but also ergonomically in soothing and nest-like comfort. It gives the baby a cozy way to transition from womb to the world.
Thanks to its fan-shaped design, it securely attaches to Ergobaby’s 4 Position 360 Carriers and 3 Position Original/Performance. These allow for the intuitive loading of your little one and also allowing for more airflow. At the same time, it provides for the additional thigh, spine, neck, and head support that your baby requires in his nascent months.
- Infant Insert which Snaps into Your Carrier: In a bid to make infant insert easier to use, the manufacturer created an infant insert that is able to snap into your carrier. Featuring tabs that are located on the top and on the sides of the insert, it’s able to snap around shoulder straps and also on the side webbing. This way, you can leave the insert in the carrier, and load your baby as needed. It’s also much lighter with a lower profile. You can customize head support at the top based on the needs of your baby via snap position. You don’t have to undo any loading strap once the kid is inside.
- Instructional Videos: The Easy Snug infant Insert comes with new instructions, plus brand instructional videos that are now available on YouTube. These videos show you how to load your baby from the side. All you need is to snap the insert inside the carrier and put it around your waist. After that, you wear one shoulder strap, and then have the baby loaded in from the side before putting on your second shoulder strap and affixing your chest clip. Once the baby is in, you may want to tighten your carrier, but there is no other adjustments needed. You are good to go!
Why Should You Buy It?
The insert offers great comfort for your baby on short strolls or long walks. Passed as hip-healthy by International Hip Dysplasia Institute, the carrier provides important support for the delicate neck, thigh, head, and spine as the newborn starts developing their muscles.
7. Mountain Buggy Juno
Mountain Buggy is probably famed for producing baby strollers but the company has ventured into baby-wearing products with the Juno, it’s the first-ever carrier. What makes the Juno interesting is the fact that its main straps anchor around your hips and shoulders, which serves to distribute your baby’s weight a lot better.
The Ergobaby 360 Bundle of Joy Baby Carrier is the closest rival of the Juno, and it looks strikingly similar. However, the Juno differs from it in that its newborn insert is complete with the carrier. Unlike the Ergobaby’s 15 kg, the Juno can be used until your baby is 20 kg.
- The Versatility of Seating Positions: One of the highlight features of the Juno baby carrier is its versatility of the seating positions. It has a special newborn insert for encasing your newborn baby. This fits snugly into the sling. This is later removed as the baby grows and becomes stronger. Around the age of 6 months when the baby has grown and become strong to the point that they can face outwards, you adjust the front of the sling so that the baby can happily be carried forward-facing. You are also able to carry the sling on your back and hip, from the time the baby is 6 years old.
- Hands-Free: The hands-free tagline can be a little confusing because the whole essence of baby carriers is that they are supposed to free your hands. However, the Juno appears to be more secure than any baby carrier we’ve reviewed here. You won’t feel like you have to hold onto your baby at all, even when you bend over.
- Ergonomic: The Juno appears well supported and you will love the fact that your baby’s knees can easily sit higher than their crotch. The baby, therefore, sits in the “froggy” position, which is deemed one of the best positions for babies to sit. And your baby will look really comfortable in the carrier.
Why Should You Buy It?
The unique selling proposition of this baby carrier is that it’s the only one that can be used from the time your baby is zero years to 4 years. Durable and comfortable, you won’t need to replace it because it adapts to the different weights and heights of your baby as he grows.
8. Dinky Dragon Hipseat Carrier
A hipseat carrier, a toddler backpack, and a baby carrier all in one, the i-Angel boasts a whole array of seating positions. Its basic design isn’t much different from many structured carriers like Boba 4G and Ergobaby although the i-Angel features an extra anti-slip hipseat that attaches to the carrier’s body, leading to a solid base for the child or the baby to sit on.
- Four Carrying Positions: You can wear the baby carrier on the front, inward-facing, forward-facing, or even as a backpack when they attain six months and above. With a weight range of 3.5 kg to 20kg, and offering many different options, the i-Angel baby carrier is designed for a growing family and prevents you from buying several different baby carriers for one baby.
- Strapping Baby in is Easy: Although some carriers and slings can be somewhat fiddly, the i-Angel ensures that your baby is strapped in quickly with just a few buckles. And once the baby is in, it’s easy to adjust the straps without feeling as though they may unbuckle or come away. The connecting zip, coupled with the Velcro tab system for hipseat, makes it very easy to wear and take off, and at the same time gives you confidence that the carrier will not come apart.
- Comfortable for Mum and Baby: The hipseat may not be very comfortable when used on its own, however when you use it as a baby carrier, you will realize that it’s really comfy. The cushioned shoulder straps, wide waistband, and the overall weight distribution make the carrier very comfortable not only for mum but also for the baby. You will also find that for long periods the carrier is less straining on your shoulders than other soft-structured carriers you may be used to.
- Easy to Clean: Cleaning is very easy. All you need to do is take out the hard support from hipseat and put the remainder in the washing machine.
Why Should You Buy It?
The i-Angel is a durable and comfortable baby carrier that ticks all the boxes as far as choosing a baby carrier is concerned. It has excellent weight distribution, comfortable for both mum and baby, and is affordable. You don’t get a better deal than this.
9. Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Original
If you are looking for the best alternative to baby slings, Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Original is an excellent grab-and-go carrier for the money. Praised for its sturdy construction, secure textile, tight buckles, safety click, and durability, Baby Bjorn is hard not to love. With a unique forward-facing option that connects you heart-to-heart with your beautiful child while offering ample head and back support, it is hard to imagine not using this carrier.
And when it comes to competition, Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Original outranks other big boys, including Ergobaby, because it is easy and fast to put on, and it is soft and safe for every child. In addition, it can support a newborn without an infant insert.
Unlike its competitors, Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Original has two safe carrying positions: baby facing-in and baby-facing out. Thanks to the inward-facing option, you and your child can develop a mutual eye and face-to-face contact all day long. And because it is important for your child to see the world around them while you hold them heart-to-back, Baby Bjorn would have been less useful without the outward-facing position.
What about the body size of your baby? Is the carrier adjustable to fit your child’s body size? Or, is it just for kids of fixed body size? If you are like most mothers, you’ve probably asked yourself these questions – maybe more. Here is the thing; Baby Bjorn is a flexible carrier with color-coded buckles and safety click, which makes adjusting extremely easy. As such, fastening or loosening it to give your child more room and comfort is a breeze.
All the merits notwithstanding, Baby Bjorn falls short when it comes to carrying babies weighing 35 pounds and above. In rare cases, though, will this break. We believe that because the textile is durable and high quality, it can carry this weight without breaking.
10. Infantino Swift Classic Carrier
Infantino Swift Classic Carrier is what I like to call a bravura carrier that infants and toddlers fall in love with easily. For a carrier that offers a narrow and wide seating position, a wonderful cover bib, and a soft padded shoulder strap, you can’t bring yourself to the imagination that it costs two times less than the like of Lillebaby and Boba Wrap.
Besides being a nice baby gift that won’t break the bank, this carrier is a must-have for parents who want to hold their kids in different positions. In addition, meticulous, fussy, and not so easy kids, who prefer being held facing out, will benefit from this carrier in a big way because they can see the world around them whenever they wish.
Yes, first-time moms are always on tight budgets. So, opting for a carrier that fits the bill is the way to go. But don’t mistake Infantino Swift Classic Carrier for just a cheap product on display, though.
With its cheap price comes customizable straps and waist belts, a two-in-one bib for carrying your little one’s clothes, and 4 different baby-facing positions for an amazing child experience. That’s not all; this carrier beats Baby Bjorn with a thud because it can carry infants and babies who weigh 32 pounds and below.
Assuming you have a baby weighing over 30 pounds, carrying them around in a baby sling can wear your shoulders out. That notwithstanding, you can use Infantino Swift Classic Carrier to protect your shoulder when moving around with your small man or woman. Thanks to the high quality, thick cushions, the shoulder straps will not dig into either side of your shoulder as your carry or move around with your precious baby.
Baby Carrier Buying Guide
Here’s What You Need to Know to Choose the Best Baby Carrier for your Baby:
While you can carry your baby in a stroller, nothing beats the simplicity and a sense of closeness offered by baby carriers. They not only cuddle your little one against your body but also free your hands. This enables you to navigate crowded places, move easily, and even allow you to attend to your daily chores while your child relaxes on you.
There is quite a large selection of baby carriers for plus size moms to pick from but this is both good and bad. It’s good because it gives you a large pool to choose from but bad because it makes it hard to choose which type to buy, especially if you are a new parent. To avoid the headache that comes with purchasing a baby carrier, we tell you the most important things you need to know before you set out to buy a baby carrier.
Types of Baby Carriers: Available in the Market
1. Soft Front Baby Carriers
These baby carriers are outfitted with a fabric seat and come with leg openings for the baby as well as straps that crisscross your back. The baby relaxes against your chest in a straight position, with the head supported by the baby carrier’s back. These baby carriers are excellent for parents who want a carrier that evenly distributes weight across both shoulders and allows the legs of the baby to stretch freely outside the baby carrier.
2. Hip Baby Carriers
These have canvas seat which sits on the hip, a strap fitting around the waist and a shoulder strap that keeps swinging around your body like a sling. Because of higher weight limits compared to many front carriers, hip baby carriers are a great choice for those who want to transport older babies who can sit upright without being assisted.
A sling refers to a wide piece of fabric that you wear over one shoulder and across your torso. They are available in padded, unpadded and some come with or without adjustment rings. They are perfect for breastfeeding mothers because, due to their generous fabric and loose fit, you can nurse your baby without other people noticing it.
But the general fabric on these baby carriers means that slings can be quite cumbersome especially for small or petite women. Also, its one-shoulder support can be quite uncomfortable especially for older kids weighing above 15 pounds.
This refers to a wide piece of fabric usually worn around the body and over your two shoulders. What makes this type of baby carriers popular among parents is their infinite versatility. They can be worn in all manner of configurations and can easily be adjusted by pulling the fabric on. Like slings, wraps make it easy to breastfeed your young one.
The problem with wraps is that they can take a lot of time to wear and to take off. Also, they are not comfortable to carry kids who are older because they do not have the support and padding that come with front carriers.
Things to Consider when Buying a Baby Carrier
1. Consider the Age of Your Baby
If you have just given birth, you will most probably do with a front carrier. These are designed to carry smaller babies close to you, and at the same time freeing your hands and arms.
At What Age Baby Carrier Can Be Used – A back carrier, on the other hand, suits babies who are older and can support themselves. It will allow you to carry as old a baby like 4 years. It tends to be more structured. Also, it tends to consist of tougher fabrics and even a metal frame at times. This makes a back carrier heavier and bulkier, and therefore don’ pack away easily.
2. Do you Intend to Use it Alone or with Your Partner?
Another important thing to consider when buying a baby carrier is who will use it. If you are the only person that will be using the carrier, you will just need to focus on your comfort. Go for those broad padded straps that will distribute the weight of the baby evenly over your body.
However, in case you and your partner will both be using the carrier, it’s important that you buy a carrier that will adjust easily to fit your different shapes and heights.
A wrap or a sling is usually most preferred for younger babies. As they grow on, parents switch to structured carriers. However, many carriers are meant to grow with your kid from infancy to the age of a toddler. It’s best to buy a baby carrier that is versatile and can adjust to your baby’s different weights and heights.
4. Comfort for the Baby
In case of front carriers, go for carriers with padded leg holes that are loose so as not to constrict your kid’s thighs but not so loose as to let the baby slip through them. Your tot will certainly sleep in the baby carrier, which is why you want a carrier that comes with a padded headrest to give support to the neck and head of the baby.
When buying a front carrier, it’s important to ensure that the straps and the seat will securely support your baby and that all snaps, buckles, and belts are sturdy and in perfect working condition.
6. Easy to Use
It’s important that you buy a carrier that you can easily navigate by yourself, if possible with one hand unless you are want to put in some time and effort to learn the ropes. You need a carrier that you will be able to put on and take off and get the baby in and out with no help. The majority of structured carriers are made to easily unbuckle to let you transfer your sleeping tot to a stroller or a crib without necessarily waking them.
Your climate is a very important factor when it comes to choosing a baby carrier. Some carriers tend to be too warm for summer days. Darker colors also heat up real fast. Choose a baby carrier that is made of lighter fabric if you intend to carry your little one in warm weather.
If you want to breastfeed your baby while wearing the carrier, the best option for you is wraps and slings. These make it easier to breastfeed your baby than structured back carriers.
9. Easy to Clean
Young children are very messy so you need to choose a carrier that is easy to clean. Preferably, you need a machine-washable carrier.
10. What it will Cost You
Lastly, you also need to consider your budget. If you want a structured carrier, be armed with anything from $30 to $180. For slings and wraps, expect to pay in the range of $25 to $200. And if you want backpacks, be ready to part with any amount in the region of $150 to $300.
Baby carrier prices normally vary based on the features including carrying styles, weight limits, and the type of fabric used to make them. In terms of functionality, higher-priced baby carriers may be similar to their lower-priced counterparts. However, they are usually made of superior quality fabric.